Sunday, August 19, 2012

Your problems are always smaller!




It rained and I was exasperated. I am one of those people who hates rain because of one mammoth of a reason- Mosquitoes and other irritating insects that suddenly emerge from nowhere, breed more and more and make your life a living hell. And the day when it rained, I had to go to school. I could have bunked, but thanks to my exams I had to go by passing puddles where I don't know what kind of things were swimming, and much to my disgust- smell of the EVER-filled dustbin became more profound. 
While waiting at the bus stop,one fly was really irritating me, trying to sit on my nose and maybe, see the world by resting on it. Slowly and slowly more and more flies started taking interest in me. I swayed and flapped my hands, lifted my feet now and then to get rid of them. But they were incorrigible. Even my van driver had decided to come late today. So irritated, I started walking towards City Center, Chennai, for passing time as my bus driver came from the same route. 

While walking I was thinking of the serene atmosphere of the air conditioning inside the mall, how amazing it is to sit there when you have 9-5 current off, and how mosquitoes do not follow you there. And those mosquitoes were still following me. 

But then my senses were struck with irony. The road towards City center, reflected a whole different world. Fish vendors making their children defecate on the road, hung over inebriated people sleeping under the bridge. And the most horrifying scene was- sewage water, dirty water from the bridge dropped on the road, on the footpath, and also on a person on the footpath. I went a little closer. I saw that he was in rags, and lots of flies surrounded him and sat on him. He was not disturbed by them, and even the sewage water kept on dripping on his head, but he slept unperturbed. I was about to say something that my van driver shouted at me to sit inside the van. While walking towards the van, only one thought ran in my mind- Brenda Jackson rightly quoted “No matter how big you think your problems are, someone else's problems could always be bigger, which makes yours relatively small!” 

2 comments:

Samyuktha Jayaprakash said...

A very poignant one .

Manian said...

Duniya mein kitna gham hai, mera gham kitna kam hai; logon ka gham dekha toe main apna gham bhool gaya..