Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Poem for Slam Poetry

This is a poem I had written for slamming. Here it is:

They called me a fat girl when I walked past them,
And I just looked at them
And I smiled.
They called me a fat girl when I was trying a pair of jeans on
I looked at them, they couldn't fathom
Why is she buying those?

How would she fit in those
I laughed at myself, and I bought those jeans
And I smiled.
They called me a fat girl when I went up on the stage
They started laughing,
Oh God the stage will crack.
I gazed at their gaze,
My head was up and I spoke what  I had to
With applaud came whistles,
Someone said Fatty got lucky.
I just, managed to smile.
They called me a fat girl when I ate French fries
I smiled.
They called me a fat girl when I drank green tea.
I smiled.
They called me a fat girl when I WAS looking pretty
And wore a dress which fit my body,
I smiled.
I kept smiling. I kept smiling. I kept smiling.
I went to my room and saw myself in the mirror.
I smiled.
I liked what I saw.
I liked the person looking back at me.
Why do you smile,
That smile hides your pain- 
A friend of mine said.
What pain? I asked.

Pain of being a little larger than the normal?

Pain of being given more adipose tissue?
Pain of having more skin on the femur?

Pain of having curves and not bones?

Pain of having the same or better qualities with a bigger body?

Pain of what? Pain of WHAT?
.
What else will they call me?
Chubby? Plump? A little on the heavier side?
I do not need those euphemisms.
Do not call me Anything!
At least do not call me what I am not!
But if you call me fat,
I will smile.
Because I am fat!
Tell me something I don't know
Tell me something new
Tell me what bothers you if I am fat
Tell me why is it a bother at all.


Because no matter what it is


I will keep smiling 



I am a girl
I am human
I am fat.
I should smile. 

No comments: