Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tamaasha!

I am blogging after one month. I am a little disoriented, but then I have so much to say but so less a vocabulary.


.....

After a long time I want to write something personal. Not something which will ignite thoughts or question beliefs- just something I always wanted to write in my blog- what I feel like.


A month- I devoted my time to a play in college which has become one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life. The last time I had committed myself whole-heartedly to something was my Class 12th Boards. I had stopped blogging and did only what a 12thie is supposed to do - study. But this one month I did something which I love to do- theatre.

College theatre is not really theatre, but it is a beginning. I never had spent a month on something which was not related to books, and it felt great. This play was not just staging of something on the, well, stage, but it was a month of a LOT of learning, unlearning and trying to get a balance between seemingly imbalanced things in life.

I learnt that being someone else is not really a stage or a drama phenomenon- as I spent an enormous amount of time interacting with people from broad cross-sections of college, I got to understand and know different aspects of different people, including myself. We are never who we pose to be, and that is why anyone can be an actor on stage because we are anyway acting in daily life. 

I learnt that criticisms can be of many types- some sane ones, sensible ones, some which just are there for the heck of it and some which bring no change whatsoever. But more than this, I learnt that whatever kind they are of, we have to manage them, deal with them, and then choose which one to take and which one to let go. The only key is to get to know how to handle them.

I have developed thick skin for many things I was very sensitive towards- I never knew how to take a joke, or even give a good witty repartee. With people with major wit and tactics of witticism around me, I developed a good range of taking jokes on myself and letting others laugh at my expense- it is spreading happiness, so be it.

The play was based on Mirza Ghalib,( Tamaasha ya Tamaashayee) the great Urdu poet's life, and his life and his shayarees taught me a good load of things. I cannot go on to write what they have taught me, but here it is in a nutshell- about how delicate a human being is, how pervasive and universal his/her thoughts are, how similar we all are, how are our problems actually the same but their manifestations differ, how language is just a medium and not a barrier, how beauty is temporary but love is not, I can go on and on.

This personal note will end with nothing but my favorite shayari of Ghalib:

हजारों ख्वाहिशें ऐसी कि हर ख्वाहिश पे दम निकले
बहुत निकले मेरे अरमाँ, लेकिन फिर भी कम निकले






No comments: