Sunday, July 12, 2015

You can have any colour, as long as it is black.

In the light of the recent controversy in my college, I feel very sad that my relatives, who never congratulated me when I got into the institution, woke up asking about the sexual harassment case in the college because according to them, they felt sad for me and were concerned. Suddenly, those who did not know about the college's good aspects, or just like the rickshaw wallahs in NCampus, did not know which college Stephen's is, know about the college because of this case, or because of the various issues that make the front cover of all the major dailies. It does not come as a surprise, because it is just human tendency to incline towards someone or something's misery. 

Another problem is, ( not related to the controversy) the students protests- are done mostly by either people who are recent pass-outs, or are in third year's last semester, obviously because then they have nothing to lose.  Haha, nothing to lose. My own friends warn me of the 'consequences' of my ideas of open protests against college issues. 'Do it after you pass out'- they say. Residence is based on merit, and if I write or say something bad about the college, that diminishes my merit. (I went through an interview, taken by the principal- who remembered I am a blogger and am an avid reader of Freudian analysis of human psyche. Say anything, the fact that he remembered the littlest of things about me, shows that he listens, which is a very admirable quality. I believe in giving credit when and where it is due.)

One of the frontrunners of the curfew issue of our college lived in residence for most of the time in college and wrote against college only after passing out. Who wants their parents to suffer more to live in Delhi just because our adrenaline got the better of us? No one. Our condition is like the stereotypical uncle/aunty in an Indian marriage, often quoted in stand up comedies I have seen- he/she takes everything available in the buffet, eats it, hates some dishes too, burps and is done with the plate and while eating the amazing dessert he goes and tells the organiser the food was great. But then goes out, turns to a friend says- Ghatiya tha khaana, kuch bhi sahi nahi tha. Wo to usne meko bhare plate ke sath dekh liya to bolna padha ( Everything was bad, nothing was all that great. He saw me with a full plate so I had to say it.)

We talk against our college issues under pseudonyms, S.P.I.C.E ( Stephanians will understand this) and in hushed tones. We write allegorical articles to tell about our problems. I remember a friend of mine had to turn down her article before it got on many hands, because it compared dogs to girls. We all need to retain a privilege. There is a Hindi proverb I am translating here crudely- No one wants to drill a hole in the plate they are eating. Wow, I have a lot of food metaphors in this piece.

This is exactly the case with majority of students in not only Stephen's, but I guess, every institution where there is Althusserian interpellation everywhere (the only thing I liked learning in last semester's Literary theory). And it is something we have signed up for ourselves. We give and take simultaneously in this process, without any gap in time. We are tricked into having a choice but we really don't. As Henry Ford said- You can have any color, as long as it is black. I think from this sentence, you can finish your own stories. 




  



No comments: